There are various schemes that can assist with the costs of psychological assessment or treatment.

Our Clinicians are registered with:

  • Medicare
  • Department of Social Services
  • Most private health insurance funds
  • TAC
  • WorkSafe

We advise checking with each scheme to see whether you are eligible. We are also happy to talk you through our understandings of each of these schemes. Call now for more information.

A Gap Fee

Whilst some services may be eligible for a rebate from Medicare, at times there is a gap fee. The gap is the difference between what Medicare will pay as a rebate and the actual amount Bendigo Psychology charges for each session.

Sometimes the gap is referred to as “out of pocket expenses” as this is the amount your patient will end up actually paying out of their own money if their session is eligible for the rebate.

Tax Rebates  

It may be possible to claim medical expenses or the gap payments from the rebates outlined above, on your income tax. This is usually done once the above have been exhausted. We suggest you check with your accountant or the ATO.


Medicare offer five programs under which eligible clients can claim back some intervention and assessment fees:

1. The Mental Health Care Program 
If your GP deems it appropriate, she or he will need to refer you, complete a mental health care plan and charge medicare for a certain item number. Your paediatrician or psychiatrist can also refer you by charging certain item numbers for medicare.

2. Chronic Disease Management Initiative

Follow up Allied Health Services for People of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent. More information.

Your GP will need to refer you using a special form and charges medicare certain item numbers for your visit. You will need to bring the form for the psychologist to sign at each session.

3. Helping Children with Autism

Your psychiatrist of paediatrician will need to refer you if they think your child may be appropriate for these psychology services.

The psychiatrist or the paediatrician will need to write us a letter and charge certain item numbers to Medicare. Further information is available from the Helping Children with Autism Inquiry Line on 1800 289 177 and TTY 1800 260 402.

4. Better Start for Children with a Disability

Your physician or GP can refer you for services under this program by writing us a letter and charging medicare a certain item number.

5. Pregnancy Support Counselling 

If your GP thinks you would be eligible and may benefit from sessions under this scheme they should just send us a letter or a note

Private Health Insurance Funds

We are registered with most health funds. Many health insurance funds offer rebates on psychology sessions, but this will depend on your level of coverage. Most insurers stipulate that you must use your medicare entitlements before you claim with them. Contact your fund to find out your level of cover.

It is unlikely that your private health insurance will cover the gap between the Medicare rebate and our fees. We suggest you talk to your insurer about gap payments to determine if you are covered.

Department of Social Services

If your child is under 7 years and has been diagnosed with an Autism Spectrum Disorder or other recognised disability (such as Down Syndrome, Cerebral Palsy, Fragile X Syndrome, Hearing and/or Vision impairment) you may be eligible for early intervention funding.    

The Australian Government’s Department of Social Services (DSS) has introduced two funding packages:

1. Helping Children with Autism

2. Better Start for Children with a Disability

These programs help to provide children and their families with the necessary funding to implement early intervention services. Eligible children have access to a funding package of up to $12,000 per child (maximum $6,000 per financial year). Funding can only be used to pay for therapy provided by Government approved early intervention services. 

To learn more about the funding and to check the eligibility criteria, please visit the Department of Social Services(DSS) website

If you are eligible for DSS funding for your child, please let us know so that we can match you to the best approved psychologist.

If your child has been diagnosed with an Autism Spectrum Disorder and you wish to access Helping Children with Autism services, then you will need to see you Autism Advisor for the paperwork. Autism Advisors can be located at the Department of Social Services website.

If your child has been diagnosed with one of the eligible disabilities and you wish to access Better Start services, you will need to call to Carer’s Australia on 1800 242 636 to register your child.


Clinicians at Bendigo Psychology may provide services under the Transport Accident Commission scheme.  If you believe you are eligble for support under a TAC scheme, we suggest you check with TAC to ascertain your status.

Once your status with TAC has been confirmed, we can assist you with an appointment.


Your doctor may refer you for psychological treatment under the WorkCover/WorkSafe scheme.  We may be able to assist you with your WorkCover psychology session.  We recommend that you check your eligibility before calling us to discuss your needs. 

More information about Workcover can be found at